Increasing your visibility with recruiters often occurs on professional social networks. LinkedIn and Video are the most used but which is better?
The American LinkedIn is the global leader with more than 300 million members. Less important on the global scale, the French Viadeo has been very successful in Francophone countries. In France, the two networks have the same number of users, about 9 million each. In Switzerland, more than a million people are on LinkedIn. The two networks have similar tools to display your work experience and offer a premium account to access certain functions. Nevertheless, each also has its own unique features.
The benefits of LinkedIn:
- A complete search engine with many filters
- Statistics on business pages, which show the number of visitors
- Non-members can access profiles, which is not the case for Viadeo
- Profiles include easy-to-move blocks
- Groups and subscriptions are visible on the user profile
- Option of adding sections to your profile (awards and distinctions, exam results, volunteer work, publications, etc.)
The benefits of Viadeo:
- Option to include a website link or blog directly on your profile
- The "Let’s Meet” function that allows members to meet "in real life”
- Option to create events
- The "Library” section where users can add and note books that they read
- Other users can view the "My Viadeo Activity Log” section
In addition to LinkedIn and Viadeo, there are other professional social networks, particularly Xing or the new but small Amplement. Amplement is the only network that offers almost all its functions free of charge, including the option to contact other network users without restriction.